Many FSBO sellers are told marketing their home for sale by owner is very difficult. The fact is that many FSBO sellers do not approach their attempt to sell in a proactive manner. The goal of any FSBO seller is to get as many buyers as possible to know their home is for sale. The number one mistake FSBO sellers make is not marketing their home properly.
There are many different things you can do to market a home. The number one is to use as many forms of media as possible to create maximum exposure for a home that is for sale. Because marketing is key to getting a home sold you will want to take the time when preparing a marketing plan. Advertising budget is always a concern but with the growth of the internet your options are plentiful and often free. Research your options so you can get the most bang for your buck. Be careful not to spend your time or money on services you don’t need.
Here is a list of FSBO marketing ideas:
1) Signs: Of course this is number one – make your signs simple with basic contact information like the phone number. Your number should be large and easy to read for potential buyers driving by searching the area for a home.
2) Free Online Local Classified Ads: There are many communities that have started free classified websites. (Free)
3) Open Houses: They can help but they’re not the best way to market your home. Many of the people coming to your home are neighbors or people that are not true committed buyers. That can be useful in some ways because they may share their knowledge with someone who is actually looking. Do not dis count this method though because only one person needs to like your home to find a potential buyer.
4) Using the Internet: The internet is the ultimate media source for creating exposure. It is one of the easiest and most effective ways to reach buyers. Most home buyers start (85%) their search online. There are several ways to advertise on-line. There are many for sale by owner websites and the key is to get your home on as many as possible. The main drawback is this may take you sometime but it is key to getting your home in the public eye. Many of these FSBO websites will allow you to list your home for free. Unlike in the past many of these FSBO sites now share their information and can get you placed on partner websites automatically.
5) CraigsList: You can post your property for free on CraigsList. Go to craigslist.com and make sure to select your city first. The draw back to this site is that you need to post frequently since listings are sorted by date.
6) Virtual Tour: The Virtual Tour is a great option. The virtual tour can give your prospective buyer a much better idea of what the interior of your home looks like. You may also want to consider posting several YouTube.com videos of your home for sale. This is a great high traffic website that can allow you to link to your online listing from the video.
7) Multiple Listing Service (MLS): Perhaps the best tool to market your home is the MLS. MLS listings are generally pulled by major websites like Realtor.com, and almost all real estate firm websites. To get listed you need to go through a real estate broker. There are many brokers that will list your property on MLS for a flat fee.
The best thing to remember is that as a FSBO seller you need to have a proactive approach to selling your home. There is no reason that you can not have the same number of eyeballs looking at your home online than if listed with a full service broker. You may have some minor costs establishing your online presence but it will be a fraction of the commissions paid to a traditional broker.